The World Class Policing Awards is an exciting and long-awaited process that will help forces across the world to come together and celebrate what makes our policing so special
Stephen Kavanagh QPM, Chair of the World Class Policing Awards Steering Committee
The inaugural 2019 World Class Policing Awards were a fantastic success with nearly 120 entries from 31 UK police forces, three national UK policing agencies and five overseas forces.
From these nominations, 54 finalists were shortlisted by the independent expert judging panel and celebrated at a prestigious Awards ceremony held at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House in Park Lane. You can find out more about last year’s nominations and winners here.
The 2020 Awards will be bigger and better with more overseas police forces invited to nominate as well as increased interest from UK police forces in having their officers and staff recognised for their innovation and expertise.
This year will see the introduction of the Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze Globe Awards for the overall winners of the World Class Policing 2020 along with Special Category Commendation Awards which will recognise world class performance in specific aspects such as use of technology, training and development, collaboration and police welfare to mention a few.
Policing excellence takes place every day in every force and now that excellence can receive the recognition it is due with the World Class Policing Awards.
What are the World Class Policing Awards?
The World Class Policing Awards 2020 will honour the very best in policing at a prestigious awards ceremony in London this November.
The World Class Policing Awards 2020 will:
- Recognise examples of “world class” policing
- Celebrate excellence in policing, both in the United Kingdom and around the world
- Encourage modern, progressive, collaborative and effective policing
- Showcase individual, team and organisational achievement and success
- Promote the sharing and delivery of innovation and good practice
So what makes the World Class Policing Awards different from other awards recognising the best in policing?
Firstly, anyone can nominate any team in any force area, including multi-agency teams, that have excelled in any area of policing, whether that is operational policing or support functions.
Modern policing is about collaboration, both small and large scale, which is why the World Class Policing Awards will recognise exceptional policing regardless of whether it has been achieved by a team from a single force, a collaboration between forces or a partnership between a force and other agencies or organisations in either the public sector, 3rd sector, commercial or academic.
The awards want to recognise the partners that made the nominated activity a success. However, all nominations will, in due course, require the approval of a lead police force to be accepted.
Secondly, the awards are about recognising all types of personnel who have made the nominated activity successful including police officers, staff, PCSOs, Specials, volunteers and, of course, employees from the partner organisations.
Finally, the World Class Policing Awards recognises all types of activity covering the breadth of modern policing – nominations may include but are not confined to:
- Victim support including improvements in identification of vulnerability
- New system/technology implementation
- Outstanding or complex investigations
- Operations delivering difference
- Projects driving change
- Crime prevention reducing harm in communities (real or virtual)
- Business change to tackle new and emerging offences
- Training and development in a changing world
- Employee and officer welfare building sustainable policing
A judging panel of independent UK and international policing and criminal justice stakeholders will shortlist the nominations for recognition at the prestigious awards ceremony in November.
The World Class Policing Awards are led by a Steering Committee with experience of policing and managing projects in the police sector, as well as expertise in running successful police events:
- Stephen Kavanagh QPM, former Chief Constable of Essex Police, recently appointed Executive Director of Policing at Interpol, and Chair of the World Class Policing Awards Steering Committee.
- Paul Leeks, MD of Glasgows – the awards and events specialists who have delivered the Bravery Awards for the Police Federation of England and Wales for the past eight years.
- Allan Fairley, UK Public Safety MD for Accenture and Chair of techUK’s Justice & Emergency Services Committee.
- Ian Barrett, CoPaCC Director of Publishing and Development – a publishing professional in the police sector with experience developing and delivering the Police Review Gala Awards.
- Bernard Rix, CoPaCC Chief Executive, Publisher of Policing Insight and Founder of the World Class Policing Awards.
Stephen Kavanagh, Chair of the World Class Policing Awards Steering Committee said: “The World Class Policing Awards is an exciting and long-awaited process that will help forces across the world to come together and celebrate what makes our policing so special.”
Make your nomination
There are countless exceptional teams delivering World Class Policing, so please make sure your organisation provides the opportunity for them to get the recognition they deserve.
Nominate an outstanding investigation, operation, project or initiative that has demonstrated some or all of the characteristics of World Class Policing.
World Class Policing is…
- Innovative and inspirational
- Progressive and proactive
- Efficient and effective
- Collaboration and cooperation
- Diverse and inclusive
Nominations are welcome from third party organisations and partners as well as from the police forces themselves but all nominations will need the eventual endorsement of the chief constable, commissioner or head of a lead police force or agency to be considered by the judging panel.
The closing date for completed nominations is 5pm Friday 29th May. To make a nomination, please go to www.WorldClassPolicing.com to register as a nominator. For information about the awards or the nominations process, contact: [email protected] or call: +44 (0) 1772 767782.
Policing Insight (policinginsight.com) is an official Media Partner for the World Class Policing Awards 2020.