Policing Insight (https://policinginsight.com) is seeking freelance feature writers based in Australia or New Zealand to identify topics in policing, crime and criminal justice and write in-depth articles for the website.
We are looking to enhance our coverage of this important region, engaging with contacts at police agencies and relevant government, academia, third-sector and commercial organisations; having the contacts or the ability to develop these contacts (particularly with police agencies) is very important.
Potential candidates (based in the region)
You will be writing for an audience of policing and criminal justice practitioners, academics and relevant professionals, so we are looking for writers with specific profiles, such as:
- journalist with an interest in policing, crime, criminal justice and home affairs
- former public information officer from the policing and criminal justice sector
- former police officer or staff with strong writing skills
- policing or criminal justice academic with the ability to write accessible articles for policing professionals.
Activities required for the role
Policing Insight is all about progressive policing – covering the key issues and challenges in all aspects of policing and criminal justice, and sharing knowledge, analysis and innovation driving better policing outcomes. You will need a keen interest in policing, and be willing and able to carry out a range of activities including:
- keep up with latest developments in policing, crime and criminal justice
- maintain contacts with police forces and relevant government, academia, third-sector and commercial organisations
- pitch regular articles to the editor of Policing Insight on key issues, policy, practice, innovation and technology via in-depth features and interviews
- work on specific article commissions from the editor of Policing Insight
- cover relevant industry events and seminars (eg write up sessions and interview speakers).
Longer term there may be an opportunity for a freelance editor role in the region with additional responsibilities to source, edit and publish content from other contributors in the region.
Policing Insight has a wide audience drawn from the full spectrum of policing and criminal justice including government, policing, academia, third sector and industry from around the world.
You will be writing for this expert but broad audience, so articles can be technical and in-depth but should always be accessible; again, strong writing skills as well as an interest and understanding of policing and criminal justice are essential.
Applying to join our team of writers
If you are based in Australia or New Zealand and feel that you can contribute to Policing Insight’s editorial development in the region please contact Policing Insight Publishing Director Ian Barrett for more information via [email protected]