It’s that time of year when many – both in the UK and further afield – are able to take a festive break. But not all in policing are able to do so, of course. So let me start this article, as in previous years, by acknowledging that many of our readers will be working over Christmas and New Year. If you are – then THANK YOU again for looking after our communities as we others enjoy the holiday. And if you’re a police officer, staff member or volunteer fortunately able to take some time off, thank you too for your service throughout the rest of the year.
Our Christmas and New Year publishing…
Whilst our Policing Insight team will indeed be taking a bit of a break, we will publish occasional articles over the festive period – for example, with a look at the UK’s policing-oriented New Year’s Honours. We will also be maintaining our very popular Media Monitor service throughout. So, do feel free to check back in over the Christmas and New Year period: we’ll make sure to have fresh material here to welcome you!
We will also have a short break for our newsletter: the first in the New Year will be mailed on Wednesday, 8th January, 2020.
A glance back at 2019…
Here’s what I wrote just before Christmas last year, looking ahead to our plans for 2019…
There’s much to look forward to in the year to come.
Whilst some of the detail of CoPaCC and Policing Insight’s plans for 2019 needs to remain ‘under wraps’ for the time being, there are one or two gems it’s possible to mention here.
- Early in 2019, we’ll be announcing the recipients of the 2018/19 CoPaCC “OPCC Transparency” Quality Marks. TICK.
- During the first three months of 2019, we’ll be publishing more detail of the CoPaCC National Police ICT Survey 2018 results. TICK.
- In July, we’ll be running the second annual CoPaCC Police Governance Summit. TICK.
- We’ll continue with more of our Thematics, as well as of course our weekly supply of thought-provoking Policing Insight articles, focusing on more of the key policing issues of the day, month and year. BIG TICK.
- And – last, but by no means least – we’ll have one further MAJOR policing initiative to announce next year. We’re planning to make the public announcement in around Spring 2019. There will then be related activity throughout the rest of the year, leading to a significant new policing event in November 2019. HUGE TICK – this referred to the World Class Policing Awards.
I’m delighted (and again more than a little relieved!) to say that all were successfully delivered!
Five of our Policing Insight team – Tina Orr Munro, Carina O’Reilly, Ian Wiggett and Andrew Staniforth (plus myself) – have taken a look back at their favourite Policing Insight articles of 2019 – we’ve had many brilliant contributors over the last twelve months. Many thanks from me, to each and every one of them.
And, during 2019, our subscriber numbers have again risen exponentially with new police forces taking out organisation wide subscriptions to benefit their officers and staff. In addition many new academic institutions, policing suppliers, third sector organisations, government bodies and private individuals have also joined our community of subscribers interested in the latest thinking in policing and criminal justice. My thanks also to each of our readers and subscribers for their continued support.
So, what challenges are we setting for ourselves for next year?…
Looking forward to 2020…
There’s again much to look forward to in the year to come.
Whilst some of the detail of CoPaCC and Policing Insight’s plans for 2020 needs to remain ‘under wraps’ for the time being, there are one or two gems it’s possible to mention here.
- In January, we’ll be announcing opening of the nominations for the World Class Policing Awards 2020
- January also sees the start of our new series The Police Student to support the learning of thousands of new degree entry recruits joining the police service in England and Wales.
- Early in 2020, we’ll be announcing the recipients of the 2019/20 CoPaCC “OPCC Transparency” Quality Marks. CoPaCC has administered these awards since the introductions of PCCs back in November 2012, and 2020 will therefore be the seventh year of our making these presentations.
- During spring 2020, we’ll be running the CoPaCC National Police ICT Survey 2020. We’ll publish the headline results shortly after, with more detail to follow during the rest of the year.
- In July, we’ll be running the third annual CoPaCC Police Governance Summit. The first and second Summits were a great success, with our venue filled to capacity. We’ll be opening the ticket office for this Summit early in 2020.
- In November, we’ll be covering the World Class Policing Awards 2020 Dinner, scheduled to take place at a prestigious central London venue
- We’ll continue with more of our CoPaCC Thematic Reports, as well as of course our weekly supply of thought-provoking Policing Insight articles, focusing on more of the key policing issues of the day, month and year.
- We’ll be increasing our international coverage very substantially.
- And – last, but by no means least – we’ll have yet another MAJOR policing initiative to announce next year. We’re planning to make the public announcement early in the new year.
Special thanks to…
Finally, I’d like to thank again two particular groups of people.
Firstly, our fantastic Policing Insight and CoPaCC team. Some I’ve mentioned above, whilst others have been name-checked in our articles and Thematic reports during the course of the year. A particular special mention here to Director of Publishing and Development, Ian Barrett, a key team member who plays an essential (and largely invisible) role behind the scenes.
And secondly, my thanks to you. Our readers. We’d be nothing without your interest, feedback and support. Thank you for all your encouragement during 2019. We’re aiming to provide even more great policing insight for you in the coming year…